Hot on the heels of the new macOS Mojave, Apple have now updated their popular DAW software Logic Pro X to version 10.4.2.
Along with a long list of stability and reliability fixes, the new update also includes a number of new features that users have been requesting for some time. One of the most requested was for an easy solution to locating the sound library to a secondary or external storage drive.
Up until now, there has been a workaround involving symlinks, but this sometimes led to user’s machines trying to re-download the content if, say, the external drive wasn’t present, causing annoyance especially if the content wasn’t even required at the time.
Also on the new features list are improvements to the Smart Tempo functions that can now import and analyse multi-track recordings to define the project tempo, where before this was based on a single track. As well as this, there is the addition of a new mixer mode, allowing a ‘sends on fader’ type facility to help swift set up of effects sends or headphone mixes.
Here’s the list of the new features and enhancements you can expect:
- The Sound Library can be relocated to an external storage device.
- Smart Tempo can analyze tempo data across multi-track recordings to define the Project Tempo.
- Imported multi-track stems can follow or define Project Tempo.
- Smart Tempo now analyzes the tempo of MIDI performances recorded without a metronome.
- Alchemy provides drag and drop hot zones that let you select re-synthesis and sampling options while importing audio.
- Alchemy allows numerical editing of parameter values.
- Dragging one automation point over another now aligns them vertically.
- New mixer mode allows channel strip fader and pan controls to be used to set send level and pan.
- Automatic Slurs can be applied to selected notes in the Score Editor.
- Add a photo to track or project notes to help remember key session details or studio hardware settings.
- There is now a key command to open the Articulation Editor for the currently selected track, if there is an articulation set available for it.
- The “Join Regions” and “Join Regions by Track” commands now convert loops to real copies and join the resulting MIDI regions.
- The Threshold control in the Remove Silence from Audio Region window is now displayed in dB rather than percentage.
- It is now possible to address a Send directly to an Output.
As always, it is advisable to backup your current Logic install as well as your projects before updating. For the full list, including all the bug fixes and reliability/stability improvements, go to the Logic Pro Support page here…